The district of nyamagabe in collaboration with the central governmant and development partners is addressing the many challenges it faces in meeting the growing population’s priority health care needs. The district mainly focuses on:
- Increasing the use of quality family health services in health facilities and communities
- Strengthening the capacity of local governments and communities to support improved health service delivery.
High rates of maternal and child illness and death hinder social and economic development and burden a health care system also suffering from resource gaps, inconsistent quality of care and a need for improved community health services in the district.
The district's approach to building a solid foundation for effective, efficient health care includes six integrated components:
- Increasing accessibility, quality and use of family planning and reproductive health services in health facilities and communities
- Increasing accessibility, quality and use of integrated child health services in health facilities and communities, with a focus on malaria and nutrition
- Improving the capacity of the district health sector and Local Administration to implement central government policies and procedures with a focus on improving the healthof the population
- Strengthening the capacity to plan, budget, mobilize resources and manage services, with an emphasis on health services
- Strengthening health facilities’ capacity to manage resources and promote and improve the functioning of the community-based health insurance (mutuelles de santé)
- Increasing community access to, participation in and ownership of health services.